What are we doing to be a more responsible company? We're committed to reducing our impact on the planet and delivering more sustainable products and solutions to our customers. But we can only do this if sustainability is at the heart of everything we do. That's why we've integrated sustainability into every area of our business - for the benefit of our clients, employees and the world around us.
As a manufacturer and distributor, we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint. For over 90 years we have been taking steps to reduce our impact on the earth. (Link to Sustainability Initiatives)
We also share our customers' commitment to the environment and we believe in the importance of caring for our planet and encouraging others to do the same. As a company who helps save money while reducing your carbon footprint, it makes good business sense and is simply the right thing to do.
M-D’s Commitment to Sustainability
M-D Building Products makes efforts to operate our business in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. We recognize that reducing the environmental impact of our products and operations is an important part of the value we deliver to our customers. We strive to achieve environmental excellence and work with our employees, customers, partners and suppliers to meet these environmental commitments.
M-D Building Products is committed to providing quality products that help the American Homeowner save money by saving energy. At the same time, M-D Building Products has embarked on an on-going effort to reduce the amount of energy we consume in our manufacturing processes, reduce our corporate waste-stream to nearly zero and use as much recycled material as is available for our products and packaging. Finally, for 90 years M-D Building Products has maintained American manufacturing operations resulting in the lowest transportation carbon footprint of any company in our category.
MD Weatherproofing Products Sustainable Qualities
- MD manufactures weatherization products to seal air leaks in a home or business resulting in lower energy consumption for consumers and lower green house gas emissions.
- The majority of MD Weatherization Products are proudly manufactured in our U.S. based production plants which reduces the carbon footprint of our products vs. competitive products which may be produced and transported from China. Most of the balance of our weatherproofing product line is purchased from other North American Suppliers.
- The majority of MD weatherproofing products is made from recycled or recyclable materials. The recycling process uses less energy vs. producing products from raw metal ore or petroleum.
- The materials in our products (aluminum, vinyl, EPDM Rubber) typically provide a longer service life resulting in longer periods before the need for replacement and less worn out material in landfills.
- The majority of corrugated packaging used in MD’s manufacturing process is made from 100% recycled material requiring less energy to produce and results in less packaging in landfills.
- In 2009, MD recycled 185 tons of paper products (equivalent to saving 3,145 trees). Investments in upgraded printers, copiers, scanners and digital document storage capabilities will reduce our use of paper going forward
MD Plant and Process Sustainable Investments
- In 2008 MD began working 4 day weeks (4 -10 hr shifts) in order to reduce carbon emissions from driving to and from work in non-peak driving hours. Result is 20% fewer commute miles driven by MD Plant Employees each year.
- Replaced aging aluminum extrusion press with newer High Speed Aluminum Extrusion Press in 2005. The new press has double the capacity with less energy usage and 20% less production scrap.
- New energy efficient aging oven installed in 2005 re-circulates hot exhaust air to help heat Plant in winter.
- Replacing second aging press with similar High Speed model in Fall 2010. The new press will have double the capacity of the older press with less energy usage and 20% less production scrap. Heat from the new Press will be used to provide space heating in Plant during winter months.
- Currently expanding capacity of Powder Coat area to allow powder coating of some products that are currently being anodized. Powder Coat process is a greener, cleaner, more energy efficient process than anodizing.
- Upgraded anodizing department resulting in reclamation of 100% of water used in process resulting in zero outfall into City drain systems.
- Implementing lean manufacturing principles to reduce waste and scrap in processes, resulting in year over year decreases in aluminum and vinyl scrap.
- Instituted initiative to replace roof with new roof made from solar reflecting materials to help keep Plant cooler in the summer and reduce energy consumption.
- In process of replacing Rooftop A/C units with high efficiency models.
- Instituted initiative to replace single pane skylights with Triple Pane E-Glass versions.